Monday, August 16, 2010

"Release the Hostages" Salad


This morning I woke up and ran 13 miles before breakfast. Normally, some inspiration will come and visit me on this sort of adventure in the form of a story, a problem that requires some attention, a physical struggle that I have to push through, or a peaceful meditation. This morning I experienced none of these things.

It wasn't a totally unpleasant run, the weather was absolutely perfect and the people in the streets were smiling and waving in friendliness at each other. However, it seemed that my mind had been kidnapped by Insecurity and Fear, which had left behind a sort of emptiness that threatens. I imagine that the pasted together ransom notes would be brightly colored with letters irregular in size cut from magazine titles. The construction paper that they were pasted on would be sticky, with streaks of glue outlining the paper cut-outs.

"WE hAvE yR SELF COnFiDEncE" the letter would say "AnD SErEniTy".

The letter would continue with a bunch of promises coming from Fear that I can have my self confidence back once I become perfect at my job, convince everyone to love me (by any means necessary), and earn a small fortune.

I was devising a scheme for how I was going to fulfill the demands of my insecurities as I was driving past Starbucks this morning. I was too self absorbed to notice who was sitting in the chairs out front as I drove by, but my ears were hooked by the sound of my name, which entered through the open passenger side window.
"Emily" the voice said.

Knowing that I was about to be rescued, I immediately pulled over and parked. It was Richard. I hadn't seen him in ages, but he was hanging out as usual in front of the coffee shop. He gave me a big hug when I got out of the car and I felt embarrassed at the thought that he might have noticed the scowl on my face as I had driven by.

After about 10 minutes of unloading scattered thoughts Richard had heard enough to know that I might be at some sort of crossroads and needed some spiritual guidance that was beyond his human capabilities.

"Want some sage" Richard said, not quiet interrupting me, but rather nudging into a string of words that I was constructing to fill space. I got quiet.

"Yes" I replied, and I felt strangely relieved. Richard is Native American and he had recently attended a Sun Dance ritual where he had acquired a large stash of sage. At that moment he had happened to be carrying it around with him in his car. He brought out a bundle and we set a piece of it in the ashtray on the table and lit the ends. I poured the smoke over me using my hands, the way I had been taught when working for the Dream of Wild Health organization, and instantly I felt my chest open and my breath lighten.
"Thanks Richard" I said feeling like I had just been released from hostage.

"Release the Hostages" Salad
2 cucumbers, peeled and diced
2 Roma tomatoes (San marzanos are best)
1 small bunch arugula
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cooked kashi
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
The juice and zest of 1/2 meyer lemon (optional)

Christina's vote: "This salad was engaging"

No comments:

Post a Comment