Thursday, August 5, 2010

August Breeze Salad


I hung my head back and relied on the pull of the swing to carry me through the wafting smell of corn on the cob roasting on the grill. The children were sent into the garden to sniff out the best vine ripened tomatoes and would soon be arriving with them cradled in the hem of their t shirts. My feet, which were wet from the sprinkler, were now stained with grass and drying in the warm August heat. A kite soared through the air, and dragged the little boy that it was attached to back and forth across the open field. I had a craving to wrap my legs around the cool chain of the swing and flip myself completely upside down to allow the thoughts to just drain out of my mind, but instead I just tightened my grip and leaned back further. A sudden tug pulled me out of my trance like a bucket of ice water and you were standing there with an evil grin on your face. “BOO” you said, laughing. “Mom needs your help in the kitchen.”

August Breeze Salad
Cook 1 box quinoa pasta (boil a pot of water with a pinch of salt in it, pour the pasta in and allow to boil for 8 min). Drain and rinse (in cold water) the pasta. In the empty pot, add
3 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves fresh garlic
pinch salt
heat the garlic for about 1 min, then pour the pasta back into the pot. Remove from the heat and allow pasta to cool (I stuck it into the freezer) Mix with
1 large local tomato, diced
1 large local red pepper, diced
1 bunch basil, chopped
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar

Christina's vote: "This salad made me opinionated"

No comments:

Post a Comment