Friday, August 13, 2010

Birthday with a Bite Salad


Time picks up feelings like spices in vinegar and simultaneously the feelings enhance and change. The universe and the beings inside it marinate in each other and two separate entities emerge as one. On days as hot as yesterday it is hard to know where the air ends and where my skin begins, a gentle reminder that our separateness is an illusion. Even my t-shirt appeared to be an inseparable part of self. I tugged at the hem of my clinging shirt as Christina, Jesse, and I walked slowly around the perimeter of Mears park, where a free rock/rap fusion concert was taking place.

The approximate time of the early evening was masked by the heavy, deep rainclouds in the sky, which prolonged dusk into what seemed like an eternity. The band reminded me of being in high school, and I looked at all the people in the park from the perspective of an outsider looking back in. The warmth of the pavement mirrored the heat in the sky. Two children darted past us. They were barefoot, giggling, and chasing each other. The feeling of feet slapping against pavement was audible, and made me grateful for the freedom to relive my childhood through running.

On a side note, today I turn 31 years old. Like many people, I trudged through a time in my life where I never imagined that I would live past 30, but then I think that is a typical thought for adolescents. So at 31, I celebrate more than my age. I am celebrating that the universe exceeds my expectations of the limits of what I once believed was possible.

Birthday With a Bite Salad
2 cups mache greens
8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
5 assorted radishes, sliced
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 cup mixed salad sprouts
1/2 avocado, cut up

dress with:
3 Tbsp grape seed oil
1 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
pinch soy lecithin

Christina's vote: "This salad says happy birthday!"

No comments:

Post a Comment