Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tricky Moon Salad


The moon smiles down, with his unfaltering poker face. Every motion of the earth projects onto his lasting impression, and though his creviced face is fossilized and unchanging, I get a different feeling from him every time that I look.
Moon, how are you today?
Angry and alone.
How are you today moon?
Elated, I feel set free.
How are you today?
Fearful and tired. Too tired to go on. I am glad that you are here.
How are you now?
Restless.
And today, how are you?
feeling satiated and a little sleepy. Thank you for joining me.

When I was small, I leaned my head against the backseat window of our car, and noticed for the very first time how the moon sometimes steals a glance of the world during the day. I noticed how it followed us wherever we went.

I imagined the earth from the moon's perspective, and felt the presence of what some like to call God. I felt that the world was much bigger than me. I felt that the universe possessed infinite tricks, and that I might never understand them. I felt like I was a living breathing dynamic part of it all.

The moment passed. Like the remembrance of a dream I tried hard to hold onto it as it slipped away and got lost amongst the car songs and the games of mad libs.

Avocado tarragon dressing
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 tsp soy lecithin
1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp soy sauce
salt and pepper (lots of pepper)
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp raw honey
1/6 avocado, mashed
1 Tbsp water
blend all ingredients together and add some lemon zest to taste

Tricky Moon Salad
1/6 red cabbage, diced
1/4 cup red pepper
3 medium fresh carrots, cut into half moons
fresh peas, shelled
fresh pea pods
edible flowers
1/2 avocado, cubed

Christina's vote: "This salad sparkled on my tongue"

No comments:

Post a Comment