Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Generous Mirror Salad


Close your eyes and tell me where you are. Whether standing on a podium, addressing your country, or sitting at the dinner table addressing your family, notice how the words feel coming out of your mouth. Are you speaking out of love or out of fear? Are you hoping to gain power by making false promises, or do you realize that you are powerful already?

I sat across from her this morning, a mirror image of myself at certain times, and listened as she spoke about a softer way. She described a situation where she had listened instead of filling up empty space with words. For once she had waited to be asked before forcing her help on others, flowing in and out of a crowd without stirring a storm of land spout resentments. In this moment she understood that wherever she was, whatever she was doing, however much she had, her inner reality was the only world that mattered. Through her imagery I re-discovered these lessons that I had forgotten.

In food, the type or quality of the ingredients means nothing if the taster is not tasting. I thought about how, with my busy schedule, I have been shoveling food in while walking from place to place (eating crackers while doing laundry, that sort of thing). Last night I vowed to slow down, and take the time to taste my food. I lasted exactly 12 hours before I had completely forgotten my vow and was shoveling down this salad (for breakfast) while packing my things for work.

The dressing
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp sherry vinegar
salt and pepper
1 tsp raw honey
2 green onions
¼ tsp lemon pepper

The salad
½ small head red leaf lettuce
½ large kohlrabi, sliced into long flat pieces
6 fresh baby carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, diced
½ large tomato cut into wedges
½ cup Gorgonzola cheese

Christina's vote "This salad was generous"

No comments:

Post a Comment