Saturday, July 3, 2010

Letter to Shadow Salad


Dear Shadow
With the sunrise at our backs I followed you into the morning.
I watched you in fear as your shape changed sizes, from short and fat to tall and ghostly, with long claw like fingers.
Your edges blurred and rippled in the heat of the day.
We ran together toe to toe. Sometimes you disappeared into the rustling shade of a tree. Sometimes I disappeared into my own rustling mind.
Always we were reunited by the bright sunlight, which perched like a watchful parrot in the expansive palace of an empty sky. When at last we reached the turnaround, I expected to leave you behind.
The sun had passed through her zenith, and there you were, running with me, toe to toe into the dusk.
I watched, this time with joyful amusement, at the shifting of your form, and shouted my gratitude to the sun for our introduction.

Dark Toasted Sesame Dressing
2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 Tbsp tamari
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tsp raw honey (sweet clover is nice)
2 Tbsp tahini
1 clove minced garlic. Whisk together.

The salad
1/2 head red leaf and 1/2 head green leaf lettuce
10 very small (just out of the ground) carrots, peeled and diced, or 4 large carrots
2 Persian cucumbers, peeled and sliced
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced (place eggs in pot and cover with water. bring to a boil and boil for 1 min. Remove from the heat, cover, and let sit for 8-10 min. Drain, then rinse with cold water to stop cooking).

Christina's vote: "This salad could set a firecracker ablaze"

No comments:

Post a Comment