Friday, July 9, 2010

Sun Run Salad


I felt my lungs expand and contract, like large wings flapping against my rib cage. I opened my heart to set them free, and suddenly my legs were ignited. They moved like pistons, taking cues from one another, one up one down. With this new source of power, I was free to sit back and steer. The wide city roads were empty, and the air was damp and warm like a Florida morning. A giant red sun tracked over my right shoulder. It jumped out from behind the buildings, as though we were children in a forest, and it were surprising me from behind trees. I wanted to stay out and play with the sun until he was called home to bed, but I knew that soon the people would come out and he would retreat up into the sky like a shy drummer, who plays his powerful music hidden from glory. For a moment, I wished that I could live my whole day with the dawn.

I wondered if this is what mothers feel when their children grow up. It is difficult not to get attached to the pinks and whites of morning, but if spend all my thoughts missing them then I know I will miss the yellows and blues of the afternoon.

All day long, underneath a yellow and blue sky, I remind myself not to surrender to fear. I remind myself that as long as my heart is open, my body will align itself, pistons beneath shoulders, feet beneath pistons. I feel the explosive energy, miraculous like the red morning sun. It comes through the opening of my heart.

Hazelnut Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette
3 tsp apple infused balsamic vinegar
1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp hazelnut infused olive oil
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1 tsp raw honey
1/2 tsp dry yellow mustard powder

Radish Pea Salad
1/2 head red leaf lettuce, chopped
10 radishes, sliced
1 1/2 cups chopped pea pods

Christina's vote: "This salad reminded me of gifts I never gave."

No comments:

Post a Comment