Monday, June 22, 2009

Sweet Pea and Little Sprout Salad

Peas and bean sprouts have a raw garden-like flavor, a vulnerability that is better accented than hidden. Avocado adds a nice creaminess without robbing the sprouts of their chance to shine.

I had, at one time, a pile of secretes that I buried myself under. I asked a friend how to be truthful about something when afraid of the terrible reaction it might ignite. Her response was, "it's simple. Do it at dinner and then immediately say: please pass the peas"

I wrote you a poem:

The things you never say
are the heavy door you carry
hinged by your own shoulder
it shields you from the light

To every eye who peeks
every ear who stops to listen
you rattle iron door grates
then duck clear out of sight

The notches on your cell door
they grow across in number
and your skin sheds it's brown armor
and you start to crave the sun

So with courage that you muster
you sprout out little feelers
you open up to sweetness
you walk before you run

Creamy avocado dressing:
put into a blender, or mash with a fork
1 whole ripe green avocado
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
2 mashed cloves garlic
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp canola or sunflower oil

The salad:
Rinse and dice equal parts sugar snap peas, pea pods and bean sprouts. Toss with dressing until coated to the consistency of a mayonnaise based dressing.

Christina's vote: "A new experience in every way"

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED THE POEM. SO TRUE!


    THE SALAD I WILL TRY TO MAKE. I LOVE PEAS AND AVACADO AND HAVE NEVER ALLOWED THEM TO RESIDE TOGETHER---BUT I WILL!

    HAVE YOU HEARD THIS ONE. "I DON'T LIKE PEAS SO I DON'T EAT PEAS, IF I ATE PEAS, I MIGHT LIKE PEAS, SO I DON'T EAT PEAS!
    QUENTIN CRISP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Think it goes- I don't like peas, so I don't want to see peas, because if I see peas, I might eat peas and I don't like peas. I pretty sure he wasn't really referring to peas.

    E and C

    ReplyDelete