Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Superior Dip Refresher Salad


When I was little the whole family would go up to Maine for a summer vacation. We would take sailing lessons, where we would have to practice capsizing our little boats. The water was painfully cold (it would take your breath away) but it would leave you with a vibrant glow and refreshed with energy for the rest of the day. A dip in lake Superior has the same effect. 

I made a salad for breakfast today which calls to memory the refreshing feeling of getting dunked in icy water by dear lovely cousins and brothers. 

Dressing: 
2 cups whole milk yogurt
1 large minced clove garlic
juice from 1 lemon
1/2-1 Tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp dill
a dash of ume plum vinegar or salt
mix ingredients together (I use my mini blender for this), set dressing aside

Wash and rinse some FRESH spinach (don't buy the bagged stuff, get some really green, meaty, local stuff if you can find it) The recipe makes a lot of dressing, you can make enough salad for 4-6 people or save the extra dressing and use it as a dip for carrots. 
Add some frozen peas (rinse them with water to un-freeze)
and some chopped cucumber
carrots would be good too, but I didn't have any. 

Dress and serve! Plan on having garlic breath, it is so worth it though!!!

Christina's vote: "A wonderful summer salad- I ate until my stomach hurt"

No comments:

Post a Comment