Saturday, September 4, 2010

Snapshot Salad


The air had a snappy chill to it, and I spent the morning navigating the long way around the shady tents at the farmers market, desperate to stay in the warm bath of sunlight. It was the sort of weather that invited stealing extra minutes at the sink to feel the warm water running over your hands, to avoid the shock of a cold air dry. The morning flew by in a flash, and I relished every moment of it. We had a Chef from Trinidad who prepared salmon cakes and a raspberry trifle, which caused the children to flock like seagulls when it came time to sample. Some friends took a picture:

When the demo was over, I took a moment to stand in the center of the market and enjoy a roasted ear of corn. I felt like a little kid having a snack after a busy morning of play.

I spent the rest of the day in a dark lab, mixing up chemicals, and watching as the liquids blended into each other. It looked similar to the way cream dances through iced coffee, like swimming angles.

The postdocs in my lab frequently use cooking analogies when they are trying to teach me something new. At first I thought they were just trying to speak my language, but now I understand the similarities. Lab work is a lot like cooking, you have a protocol (like a recipe) to follow, but their are no guarantees that the protocol will work on every given day. A scientist needs to use all their senses when running an experiment, much like a cook needs to be entirely present when cooking. The hours flew by in the lab.

When I got home there was a nice surprise waiting for me. Christina had retrieved some of my favorite of her pieces, and hung them above my desk:






Snapshot Salad
1/4 head romaine lettuce
1 corn cob, raw, with the kernels cut off
1/2 avocado, peeled and sliced
2 heirloom Roma tomatoes (or any tomato that you like)
1 white patty pan squash, cut into pieces
4 sliced tomatillos (peel the outer shell)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Dress with:
3 Tbsp grape seed oil
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 clove mashed fresh garlic
1 tsp honey
fresh ground pepper

Christina's vote: "This salad defines creative"

No comments:

Post a Comment