Monday, July 20, 2009

The Puppeteer's Salad

I walked in the door after a sunny run by the river and immediately my hands started working. They pulled my arms to the refrigerator door, opened it, closed it, opened the freezer, grabbed a half a frozen bag of edamame (shelled) and a bag of frozen sweet corn and poured it into the strainer. I was gliding through the kitchen, my toes barely gracing the smooth floor. Gusts of wind blew in from the 6 ft tall windows, which were open and breathing ghastly smelling city air onto my shoulders and back. My arms lifted to turn on the cold water, pointing the stream at the frozen beans and kernels and melting them to room temperature. My feet turned me around in a quick circle and carried me over to the fridge and soon my eyes were traversing the globes and cylinders and the wrapped mysteries of the crisper drawer. I picked up two small round little red onions, adorable. I placed them on the wooden cutting board and began dicing.

Just then, Christina moved into view. I could feel her watching me. Her audience made me question if there was a need for some conscious action, like when a child falls down and looks to see if there are ears to receive his cries.
"Are you chopping onions already, at 9 in the morning?" she asked.
"Ummm, I guess I am"

I was caught in a spotlight while dancing along to the music in my head. I was a child composing a song secretly under her breath only to realize that she was being listened to. I felt like I had just driven way past my exit and realized that I was lost on the freeway. It was the moment of "coming to" that happens before the panic of being lost settles in.
Where had I gone?
More importantly, why was I using frozen corn when I have a fresh cob in the fridge? Why was I using frozen vegetables at all in the middle of summer? Why was I making a salad at 9 am?
My stomach growled in response to my questioning.

This is the simplest salad that I have made to date. Actually, I am not sure that I really did any of the work. This salad used me to make itself. It turned out to be one of the most fantastic breakfasts I have ever eaten.

Mix together:
1/2 bag frozen, shelled edamame, 1 bag frozen sweet corn, 1 diced red pepper, 1 diced yellow pepper, 2 small red onions (baby red onions), 2 cups diced mustard greens, 1 Tbsp salad vinegar, 1 Tbsp salad oil, salt and pepper, garnish with feta cheese (optional)

Christina's vote: "This salad made me feel festive"

No comments:

Post a Comment