Monday, June 28, 2010

Runner's Playground Salad


In the early morning light, I went to the airport and got in an airplane bound for New Hampshire. Half asleep and wedged into my little seat, I looked for something to distract myself with. A magazine, the little safety card, my hardcover book, a neighbor with an 80's perm, a 11 year old child sitting in the window seat. The child was leaning her forehead against the little glass window, her jaw gaping, her wide eyes scanning the land below. I followed her eyes and marveled at the tufts of white cloud against the cartoon blue sky.

Suddenly I felt fully awake. We are flying. We are a group of people, sitting in little chairs and riding through the sky. THROUGH THE SKY!! The child had guided me to a sense of wonder. I managed to hold onto it until the whir of the planes ascent subsided, then I forgot my awe, and returned to my book.

The first thing I noticed when driving through New Hampshire were the pine tree studded mountains, they are groomed and green like a chia pet in full bloom. We drove over the hills and through the woods and to a little house on the lake where my family and nephews were lounging inside. My four year old nephew showed me his train set, and his toy cars. Then I went for a run.

The dirt trail was carved before me, like a wooden track and I felt myself being pushed along, as though a giant finger were digging into my back. I hugged close to the turns and allowed myself to be pushed. The trail opened up to a narrow road, which arched up and down and up again. I imagined myself in a child's toy world. I was a train car, I was moving, noticing, my wheels freely turning. I happened by a garter snake, it reminded me of a rubber toy. I chugged up a steep hill with jolted steps like a roller coaster climb, passed a horses pasture, past a patches of lavender, past a waft of manure, slowly, finally, I reached the top.

Then I was let go. My stomach did a summersault as it shifted from up to down and I went flying, arms flailing, down a steep hill, allowing my legs to turn over. It was quite a ride.

Lime cilantro dressing
3/4 cup chopped cilantro
Juice from 1 lime plus 1 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tbsp brown sugar

Pour over
1 kohlrabi, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 cup chopped purple cabbage

Christina's vote: "This salad put the clouds away"

No comments:

Post a Comment